On 07-04-10 17:58 eric magaoay wrote:

> Fedora maintainers are currently reviewing zd1211rw firmware for
> possible inclusion into the repository provided that the established
> requirements [1] are met. Anyone have comments on the requirements?
>
> If I remember correctly, Zydas gave permission for redistribution of its
> zd1211 firmware; if so is it still valid under the new ownership
> (Atheros)?

The vendor driver has been distributed alternatively under the GPL
version 2 in source code, which contains header files with the
firmware in large C arrays. I have created a derived work of the
vendor driver published also under the GPL version 2. The source
code contains the headers of the vendor driver. The program itself
creates the firmware files. Look for zd1211rw_fw_*.tar.bz2 under
http://deine-taler.de/zd1211/snapshots/. Look at the file README.

IANAL, so I cannot answer the question under which conditions the
distribution of the firmware files would be covered under the GPL.

> [1] Requirements:
>
>    1. The files are non-executable (note: this means that the files
>       cannot run on their own, not that they are just chmod -x)
>    2. The files are not libraries.
>    3. The files are standalone, not embedded in executable or library code.
>    4. Explicit permission is given by the owner to freely redistribute
>       without restrictions (this permission must be included, in
>       "writing", with the files in the packaging)
>    5. The files must be necessary for the functionality of open source
>       code being included in Fedora.

Requirements 1, 2, 3, and 5 are fulfilled by the binary files.
Daniel Drake (dsd-at-gentoo-dot-org) handled the relationship to
the vendor, so he might be able to help with requirement 4.

--
Uli Kunitz