Ulrich Kunitz wrote:
> On 07-04-10 17:58 eric magaoay wrote:
> The vendor driver has been distributed alternatively under the GPL
> version 2 in source code, which contains header files with the
> firmware in large C arrays. I have created a derived work of the
> vendor driver published also under the GPL version 2. The source
> code contains the headers of the vendor driver. The program itself
> creates the firmware files. Look for zd1211rw_fw_*.tar.bz2 under
> http://deine-taler.de/zd1211/snapshots/. Look at the file README.
>
> IANAL, so I cannot answer the question under which conditions the
> distribution of the firmware files would be covered under the GPL.
>

>> [1] Requirements:
>>
>>    1. The files are non-executable (note: this means that the files
>>       cannot run on their own, not that they are just chmod -x)
>>    2. The files are not libraries.
>>    3. The files are standalone, not embedded in executable or library code.
>>    4. Explicit permission is given by the owner to freely redistribute
>>       without restrictions (this permission must be included, in
>>       "writing", with the files in the packaging)
>>    5. The files must be necessary for the functionality of open source
>>       code being included in Fedora.
>>

> Requirements 1, 2, 3, and 5 are fulfilled by the binary files.
> Daniel Drake (dsd-at-gentoo-dot-org) handled the relationship to
> the vendor, so he might be able to help with requirement 4.

Uli,

Normally, if the original owner (Zydas) has already given permission and
license the zd1211 firmware for redistribution, the agreement will
remain legally binding and enforceable unless Zydas agreed to revoke the
license as a condition for their acquisition and merging with the new
owner (Atheros).

I already forwarded this message to the reviewers and one member, Bill
Nottingham approved to have the firmware inclusion into the Fedora
repository.

Thanks!

eric