On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, Paul Albrecht wrote:

> > I'm trying to use a hawking hwu54g with the zd1211rw driver in the
> > 2.6.20 linux kernel. It works ok when I hotplug the device, but causes
> > firefox to segfault when I coldplug the device. I compiled the device
> > driver as a module so I don't see why there should be any difference.
> > Any ideas?
> Could you pleas explain, what's the difference between a hotplug
> and a coldplug is?
>  The difference is *when* the device is inserted into the port. If the
> device is inserted before the system is booted it's coldplugged. On the
> other hand, if the device is inserted after the system is booted, then
> it's hotplugged.
> BTW a userspace process shouldn't segfault, if a network device
> does dis- and reappear.
>  Yes, of course, I certainly don't expect firefox to segfault simply
> because I coldplugged the hwu54g, but that's, in fact, what's happening.
> Moreover, I should add that the segfault is direct consequence of
> coldplugging the device because it occurs irrespective of whether or not
> I up the device.

Sorry, I still don't quite understand. If you boot the PC with your WLAN
dongle already plugged in, then start firefox, it segfaults, right? And
this happens in both cases when you either connect to a network over your
dongle before starting firefox, or if you don't, correct?

Furthermore, if you boot without a dongle, then you plug it in, and then
start firefox, then it runs, also regardless of whether the network is up
or down, right?

Could you please confirm if I understood everything right, and have a look
at the dmesg output after firefox has segfaulted if you see anything
unusual there. I.e., you can call dmesg before starting firefox and after
the segfault and see if there have been any new entries between the two

Guennadi Liakhovetski