I just wanted to express the same sentiment - I like this :)

Johanna

On 7 Oct 2020, at 7:21, Christian Kreibich wrote:

On 10/5/20 4:08 AM, Robin Sommer wrote:
The advantage of this is that we won’t rely on having to specify
specific compiler versions, which isn’t well-defined (because things
also depend on libstdc++ version, system libs, etc.), but instead on
whether people can actually compile Zeek on the platforms they are
using.

A disadvantage is that we’ll need to spend the time to ensure our CI
setup keeps matching the policies, and gets updated as distribution
updates come out.

I like this a lot! At the end of the day, what matters for our builds is what the distros ship, and this covers that. Plus, it's not that hard to update the CI images to keep them current.

We could put together a release calendar to remind us when it's time to update CI. I took a quick look and couldn't immediately find one. I'd be happy to put one together.

Best,
Christian