On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 7:40 AM Johanna Amann <joha...@icir.org> wrote:

> > Our versioning script uses the last-reachable tag in "master".  At the
> > time we start the 3.1.0 development cycle, we don't have that 3.1.0
> > tag, and also that tag won't ever be made along the "master" branch,
> > it will be made sometime later within the "release/3.1" branch.
>
> I might be slow here - but doesn’t the same problem apply to the
> proposed naming scheme?

No, provided our versioning script keeps relying on last-reachable-tag
in master, we are free to create a 3.1.0-alpha tag in master, but we
aren't free to create a 3.1.0 tag in master.  That would mean we're
tagging a final 3.1.0 release way too early.  We could move the 3.1.0
tag later, but in the meantime I don't want to have to communicate to
people looking at the tags that it's not really an official release
yet (e.g. GitHub will automatically start listing it as a release).

> So - you proposed master using 3.1.0-alpha.X. I was asking why we
> can’t just do 3.1.0-X instead, given that in semver numbering
> everything still stays consistent. I agree that this will need changes
> to our versioning scripts :)

We *can* use 3.1.0-X to get a similar ordering property, but there's
reasons not to *want* to do that:

* We'd need a completely different versioning script/process, one that
doesn't rely on git tags.
* It's changing the meaning of X.Y.Z-[commit #] to mean "pre-release"
rather than "post-release".
* That potentially creates a bigger difference/inconsistency between
what sub-projects are doing for versioning.

> True. I still like the sound of -dev and -rc better; and just not having
> a -alpha/-dev label even more - but I admit that that is a purely
> personal preference to some degree.

My main reason for preferring alpha/beta is "it's less different than
before", otherwise don't have much argument against dev/rc.

- Jon