I tend to agree with your comment but I'm unsure about one thing:

With this mindset it also makes sense to differentiate the lookup
functions, so we have something like:

 FindEvents(...filters...)
 FindItems(...filters...)

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding that, but if you imply that FindEvents would
only return a reference to the item (eg., it wouldn't have the URI, title nor
anything else of that) I don't think that makes much practical sense. Ie., that
information is required almost always and having to do two calls to get it is
inconvenient; I'd like to keep the API as simple as possible (but I agree that
indeed it isn't ideal right now).

Ubuntu Developer. Debian Contributor.