I don't know a lot about nose, but can't you use nose to run the tests
we already have and then accomplish what you want?

My primary concern here is probably keeping the third party deps to a
minimum - also for developers.

Also I don't quite agree that it is so hard to run individual tests...
just:

  ./foo-test.py MyTestClass.testFrobnicator

Is that so bad? It is probably because I don't know what I am missing
out on :-)

--
zeitgeist needs a more powerful testing framework
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/435099

Status in Zeitgeist Engine: New

Bug description:
Right now zeitgeist is using pure python unittest plus a self written script to
run all tests. I think there are cases where we need a more powerful testing
framework, I suggest using nose [1].
Some examples:
 * we are using temporary databases for our tests, it would be nice if we could
hook into a testfailure with a sqlite3 terminal to introspect the content and
run queries manually before deleting the database
 * right now it is a pain to select individual testcases, nose can help us alot
with this
 * at the moment we are just ignoring the output of logging, but especially in
cases where a testcase fails this information is useful, nose has a plugin to
capture this logs and append it to the report

[1] http://somethingaboutorange.com/mrl/projects/nose/0.11.1/