- recent.py has code to find the .desktop file for an app.

 - I'd prefer to have the .desktop file name as that's what seems to
be used by other projects (eg. GNOME Shell) to identify applications.
(However, just using "app" would simplify inserting quite a bit so I
may still change my opinion in favour of yours).

--
inconsistency in DB
Zeitgeist-Engine, which is the registrant for Zeitgeist Framework.

Our DB has some inconsistency  when we insert applications:
recently used inserts something like /path/to/app.desktop
while the other loggers use application://app.desktop
WHICH ONE SHOULD IT BE