no, please don't add this extra level of complexity. This is definitely
something the client should take care of.

About the original intention of this bugreport:
The only way to solve this is to define a mapping format (let's say some json
based format) which describes the mimetype->interpretation mapping and
translate this into python code/vala during build time of zg or libzg.
That's IMHO the only way to get something like this into core zg. As long as we
don't have this clients can still use the ctypes wrapper around libzg trick I
posted on the merge proposal.

--
Add mimetype and interpretation helper utils to public API
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/586524

Status in Zeitgeist Framework: Triaged

Bug description:
See linked branch