** Also affects: zeitgeist

** Changed in: zeitgeist

    Milestone: None => 0.5.2

--
not all files show up in files-place
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/646724
Framework Team, which is subscribed to Zeitgeist Data-Sources.

Status in Unity: Triaged
Status in Unity Files Place: Triaged
Status in Zeitgeist Framework: Fix Committed
Status in Zeitgeist Data-Sources: In Progress

Bug description:
The Unity interface, with its files-place feature for user access to
files/documents etc. is really great.

However there is a problem since the search feature relies wholly on zeitgeist
(AFAIK), in the zeitgeist is not tracking everything.

E.g. in openoffice, I create a new file (or open an existing one) from within
openoffice itself. This file does not show up, presumably because openoffice
does not (yet) push its activity to zeitgeist.

I guess any number of other programs could suffer the same problem.

For the average user, this is surely going to be confusing. They will create
documents via legitimate means ('New ...' buttons in their applications), and
then expect to be able to search for them in the Unity files-place interface.

To avoid this confusion I would guess there really needs to be a filesystem
watcher on the home dir (or key folders within it) so that zeitgeist is aware
of activity caused by non-zeitgeist-aware applications.