I think you can't avoid serving a search, that searches for folders and
files in a given folder like the good ole' find command for the shell.

ZG is a great thing. It offers a search that is performant and at the
same time adjusted to the files the user often needs. But as long as you
can't find EVERY and I mean EVERY folder and file (at least) in your
home folder it shouldn't displace, but complete the good ole' way of
searching.

Both search forms could be done at the same time and be presented in one
window. An example: The user searches for the word "thunder". ZG
instantly shows AC/DCs Thunderstruck since the user already got the
Rhythmbox-ZG-Dataprovider installed, but he can see that the search
isn't done yet. He can stop the search if he wishes to, but he can also
wait until the folder ".thunderbird" is found, which he was looking for.

I don't see why one shouldn't serve both ways. I use nautlilus-
elementary on maverick which also comes with a great ZG search, but
since maverick I happen to use the find command a lot...

--
not all files show up in files-place

Status in Unity: Triaged
Status in Unity Files Place: Triaged
Status in Zeitgeist Framework: Fix Released
Status in Zeitgeist Data-Sources: In Progress
Status in “unity-place-files” package in Ubuntu: Fix Released
Status in “zeitgeist” package in Ubuntu: Fix Released

Bug description:
The Unity interface, with its files-place feature for user access to
files/documents etc. is really great.

However there is a problem since the search feature relies wholly on zeitgeist
(AFAIK), in the zeitgeist is not tracking everything.

E.g. in openoffice, I create a new file (or open an existing one) from within
openoffice itself. This file does not show up, presumably because openoffice
does not (yet) push its activity to zeitgeist.

I guess any number of other programs could suffer the same problem.

For the average user, this is surely going to be confusing. They will create
documents via legitimate means ('New ...' buttons in their applications), and
then expect to be able to search for them in the Unity files-place interface.

To avoid this confusion I would guess there really needs to be a filesystem
watcher on the home dir (or key folders within it) so that zeitgeist is aware
of activity caused by non-zeitgeist-aware applications.