I tried to fix the bug by simple detecting the current core schema and "i" and
the iterating through all update scripts in form of 'core_"i"_"i+1"' its simple
and straight forward. No looking for paths and leaving us to actually only
worry about upgrade +1 increasing upgrade scripts. If the basic idea is OK I
can propose for merging.
https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~seif/zeitgeist/fix-643303

** Changed in: zeitgeist
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Seif Lotfy (seif)

** Branch linked: lp:~seif/zeitgeist/fix-643303

--
Upgrade of the db schema strategy for version jumps

Status in Zeitgeist Framework: Triaged

Bug description:
We have to discuss how to support versions jump in the upgrade path of our db
schema, like from ("core", 0) to ("core", 2). This becomes even more important
when we reach the next version.

For me there are two solution:
1.) write 'dummy' upgrade scripts, like core_0_2.py, which do not more than
running core_0_1.run() and core_1_2.run() one after another
2.) add some magic to sql._do_schema_upgrade() which automatically tries to
find an upgrade path and run the 'shortest' possible one.

There is an issue with both solutions: right now the upgrade mechanism is
designed in a way that after each data upgrade the schema upgrade is done. In
both solutions the schema upgrade will be done *after* the full upgrade path.
This can be handled by solution 1.) in the sanest possible way, the downside is
that 1.) does not scale well for big numbers of schema versions around.

Any Ideas?