The fact that all monitors are gone when restarting zeitgeist is not an
argument, because there is not guarantee that the zeitgeist daemon will run
forever, so if you connect a monitor to the daemon, you have to handle the case
of a daemon restart/shutdown, aka reconnecting the monitors after the restart.
I don't like the overall idea of watching extension folders for new extensions,
because I consider the fact that a new extension is added a very rare one.

--
dynamic loading of extensions

When wanting to use a new extension one has to restart zeitgeist. Problem with
that is that all monitors are then gone.
My suggestion would be to be able to dynamically load extension by monitoring
the extensions directories and pulling in the new extension on runtime.