A few comments:

 * I am not convinced that the perceived improvement is statistically
significant. I haven't done the number crunching, but it's a bit fishy...

 * I'd really like to understand *why* it's bad to use the time index here and
why sqlite goes on to use it? Does running ANALYZE (rebuilding the selectivity
stats of the indexes) on the db improve things?
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~thekorn/zeitgeist/fix-672965-opt_timerange_queries/+merge/40412
Your team Zeitgeist Framework Team is requested to review the proposed merge of