A few comments:

 * I am not convinced that the perceived improvement is statistically
significant. I haven't done the number crunching, but it's a bit fishy...

 * I'd really like to understand *why* it's bad to use the time index here and
why sqlite goes on to use it? Does running ANALYZE (rebuilding the selectivity
stats of the indexes) on the db improve things?
Your team Zeitgeist Framework Team is requested to review the proposed merge of
lp:~thekorn/zeitgeist/fix-672965-opt_timerange_queries into lp:zeitgeist.