Oh, and one point in I forgot to add in my previous comment - I don't
want to validate the DB on startup. That's just way too expensive -
and whas in fact one of the primary points when I implemented DB
versioning.

One thing we could do to easily, and almost freely, detect when we are
killed during an upgrade would be to set the core schema version to -1
just before we start the upgrade, and then set it to the correct
version if the upgrade completes correctly. Then if we start up and
see DB schema version -1 we know that we have to recover from backup.