completely agree, 'officially' adding a 'dbus://'-scheme would also
solve the issue of the telepathy dataprovider where we (until now) are
not sure which value to use in the actor field.

** Changed in: zeitgeist

** Changed in: zeitgeist

** Changed in: zeitgeist
    Milestone: None => 0.7.0

  URI scheme for actors without a .desktop file

Status in Zeitgeist Framework:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  What should actors that don't have a .desktop file use as their actor URI?
Currently we use application://$desktop_file_id which is very nice to wrok with
because one can do g_desktop_app_info_new($desktop_file_id).

I propose we define a similar scheme in our API docs where services and daemons
without .desktop files can use the basename of their DBus .service file instead
and put that in a dbus:// URI scheme ala dbus://$dbus_service_id.

Consider the example of the Ubuntu One syncdamon. The DBus service files are
normally stored in /usr/share/dbus-1/services/ and it has indeed
com.ubuntuone.SyncDaemon.service stored there. This daemon would then have
actor URI dbus://com.ubuntuone.SyncDaemon.service.

This is useful because it allows me to obtain both the executable name of the
daemon process as well as the DBus name it claims. Together with the service
file this gives me 3 pieces of crucial metadata on the actor.