After re-reading this bugreport, the discussion it includes and the merge
proposal, I'm still not confident that the API which is proposed here is good
enough. This is why I started working on a blacklist API spec.
It is still work in progress, and I'm not sure if this points in the right
direction (comments are welcome) but I at least have a good feeling.

current version is here: http://paste.ubuntu.com/551001/

  Blacklist API sucks

Status in NULL Project:
  Triaged
Status in Unity Files Place:
  Triaged
Status in Zeitgeist Framework:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  Guys, GetBlacklist and SetBlacklist (without any signals) for an
asynchrounous-by-nature API? Come on!

How about changing it to Get, Add, Remove and a changed signal? That way it'd
be actually usable...