The zombie part of this issue should be already fixed in lp:zeitgeist by
using glib.spawn_async() instead of subprocess.Popen() (LP: #739780)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/772265

Title:
  The datahub starts zeitgeist-daemon on startup

Status in Zeitgeist Client Library:
  New
Status in Zeitgeist Framework:
  New
Status in Zeitgeist Datahub:
  New

Bug description:
  We have been advising distros put zeitgeist-datahub into the autostart
  section for the sessions. This is better in theory because this way we
  only start a native daemon on login and can defer the launching of the
  heavier Python process zeitgeist-daemon.

  Unfortunately zeitgeist-datahub does DBus activation of the zeitgeist-
  daemon on startup so we really don't get the benefits we wanted.
  Bootcharts from Ubuntu 11.04 indicates that ZG eats about 1s on the
  login time and I don't think that is acceptable for ZG in the longer
  run. That is - no catastrophe for 11.04, but we should fix this.

  (a related issue seems to be that the dbus activated zeitgeist-daemon
  seems to launch another datahub instance that then immediately becomes
  a zombie... ? :-/)