wrt to tracker: I actually didn't want to push this discussion towards
tracker/beagle integration itself, I just wanted to point out that
obviously, indexing the relevant files _and their contents_ is already
possible and reasonable performance-wise. Consequently, I don't think it
should be too much of a performance hog to maintain a proper index
(without file's contents, too boot) for search  in ZG; that's what the
tracker/beagle people have been doing for years, after all.

  not all files show up in files-place

Status in Unity:
Status in Unity Files Place:
Status in Zeitgeist Framework:
  Fix Released
Status in Zeitgeist Data-Providers:
Status in “unity-place-files” package in Ubuntu:
Status in “zeitgeist” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  The Unity interface, with its files-place feature for user access to
  files/documents etc. is really great.

  However there is a problem since the search feature relies wholly on
  zeitgeist (AFAIK), in the zeitgeist is not tracking everything.

  E.g. in openoffice, I create a new file (or open an existing one) from
  within openoffice itself. This file does not show up, presumably
  because openoffice does not (yet) push its activity to zeitgeist.

  I guess any number of other programs could suffer the same problem.

  For the average user, this is surely going to be confusing. They will
  create documents via legitimate means ('New ...' buttons in their
  applications), and then expect to be able to search for them in the
  Unity files-place interface.

  To avoid this confusion I would guess there really needs to be a
  filesystem watcher on the home dir (or key folders within it) so that
  zeitgeist is aware of activity caused by non-zeitgeist-aware