I don't know wether there is a python plugin structure or not, I think
it would be useful for every plugin that uses some sort of daemon. That
way zeitgeist could easily control what plugin runs. You could try to
fill a bug report somewhere about this, or connect Seif somehow.

About your rewrite: I haven't had the time to check it out completely,
but it looks alright to me. If you could make it real daemon: thank you
very much, because I have no idea on how to do that.

  add support for mpd

Status in Zeitgeist Data-Sources:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  I think support for the music player daemon should be included like it
  already is for other music players.