Hi Sean,
File Lense is powered by Zeitgeist, so it will only show what all is logged.
Right now logging is done by datahub and datasources. You  should have all of
them installed ppa:zeitgeist/ppa is the ppa name which contains datasources.

If you can explain how to get this done or how to start, then someone
can pick it up. I hardly use LaTeX, so would need some pointers.

** Changed in: zeitgeist-datasources

** Changed in: zeitgeist-datasources

  Add support for TexMaker

Status in Zeitgeist Data-Sources:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  I'd like to request support for TexMaker and other LaTeX editors.  (I
  was directed here from Bug #646724.)  I use LaTeX exclusively for
  producing documents; currently if I create/edit a document, the .tex
  file does not show up in the Files/Folders lens in Unity.  (However,
  the .pdf built from the .tex file does show up, which results in the
  feeling that the Files/Folders lens is making fun of me...)