If you have at least r69 of the fts extension you can test this by
killing zeitgeist, then running:

 $ head /dev/urandom > ~/.local/share/zeitgeist/fts.index/postlist.DB

And restarting Zeitgeist. This should cause a reindex. You can verify
this by looking in ~/.cache/zeitgeist/daemon.log. You should see a line

  WARNING - zeitgeist.fts - Full text index corrupted: 'Expected block
37 to be level 1, not 49'. Rebuilding index.

Extensions, which is the registrant for Zeitgeist Extensions.

  Can't recover from FTS index corruption

Status in Synapse:
Status in Zeitgeist Extensions:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  The Zeitgeist FTS extension should be able to automatically recover from
corrupted indexes by rebuilding the index from the Zeitgeist log.

  -- Original report ---------------------

  since a few days synapse does not show any folders anymore - of course
  I made sure that the directory plugin is enabled. I also disabled it,
  restarted synapse and enabled it again. It still did not work. The
  config.json file seems to be proper, too.

  Starting synapse from commandline, I get the following output each
  time I press any letter:

  ** (synapse:26138): WARNING **: zeitgeist-plugin.vala:574: Zeitgeist search
failed: Remote Exception invoking org.gnome.zeitgeist.Index.Search() on
/org/gnome/zeitgeist/index/activity at name org.gnome.zeitgeist.Engine:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Python.xapian.DatabaseCorruptError: Traceback (most recent
call last):
    File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/service.py", line 702, in
      retval = candidate_method(self, *args, **keywords)
    File "/usr/share/zeitgeist/_zeitgeist/engine/extensions/fts.py", line 123,
in Search
      offset, count, result_type)
    File "/usr/share/zeitgeist/_zeitgeist/engine/extensions/fts.py", line 253,
in search
  DatabaseCorruptError: Data ran out unexpectedly when reading posting list.
  ** (synapse:26138): DEBUG: zeitgeist-plugin.vala:580: ZG search took 19 ms
  SynapseHybridSearchPlugin found 0 extra uris (ZG returned 0)

  I've tested synapse, from your download section and I
  also tested the recent version from branch. The folders I tried to
  find were ordinary folders within the home-partition (like
  "Documents", "Music", "Desktop", "Videos").