Note from a Xapian developer; the report here says: "For some reason
this is not always gracefully handled inside Xapian and busting that
limit may occasionally corrupt the index."  We're not aware of any
situation in which adding a term longer than the limit can result in a
corrupted index, and I don't recall any such report.  If you have a way
to reproduce such a corruption, we'd be interested in it, so that we can
fix it.

Extensions, which is the registrant for Zeitgeist Extensions.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/843668

Title:
  Blowing Xapian max term length corrupts index

Status in Zeitgeist Extensions:
  Fix Released
Status in “zeitgeist-extensions” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  Xapian has a (not very well documented) max term length of 245 bytes.
  See fx. http://xapian.org/docs/omega/termprefixes.html. For some
  reason this is not always gracefully handled inside Xapian and busting
  that limit may occasionally corrupt the index.

  This is reproducible by indexing long URLs (at least 245 bytes long).
  We already had a cap at 2000 characters, but that was apparently not
  good enough.