This has been the situation for a long time. I didn't see this
initially, search used to work then.

Mine is an upgraded system from 11.04, not a fresh install. I didn't use
Gnome 3 in 11.04 though

  Gnome Shell, App search causes 100% cpu

Status in Zeitgeist Framework:
  New

Bug description:
  I am running Gnome Shell on Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2 (up-to-date). When I
  enter any key in the "type to search" text box on the right hand side,
  (you will see this when you click on Activities Button), it
  immediately causes 100% CPU.  I have a quad core Sony Vaio laptop, I
  could run top from the console (ctrl+alt+f1) and could see Gnome shell
  causing 100% CPU.