I had an extension for kde users that depended on kio to get the interpretation
of an based on the mimetype.
My questions before this is hacked:
1) Is there a way to do it cross platform so we dont need to depend on any
GNOME or KDE libraries to do so
2) Should we do it as an extension that hooks into "Pre Insert Event" or hard
code it into the engine.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/899602

Title:
  Automatically determine interpretation from mime-type when it's empty

Status in Zeitgeist Framework:
  New

Bug description:
  Several of our client APIs (python-zeitgeist and libzeitgeist)
  currently support guessing the subject interpretation from the mime-
  type.

  I think it'd make sense to move this directly into the engine. So, if
  a subject is inserted with an empty interpretation (which seems to be
  allowed currently), we'll try to determine it from the mime-type.

  This will avoid duplicating the mime-type mappings in different
  bindings. It'll be even more useful for clients using the D-Bus API
  directly (such as GTK+).