This is nothing new, just the existing code from Python/libzeitgeist.

2011/12/16 Seif Lotfy <899...@bugs.launchpad.net>:
> 1) Is there a way to do it cross platform so we dont need to depend on any
> GNOME or KDE libraries to do so
Sure, we're just looking up the "subject mime-type" field in a
mimetype->interpretation dictionary.

> 2) Should we do it as an extension that hooks into "Pre Insert Event" or hard
> code it into the engine.
Don't see why we would overcomplicate it with an extension. Either we
do it, or we don't, but we don't "maybe" guess mime-type, that's just
confusing API users who want to rely on the feature.

  Automatically determine interpretation from mime-type when it's empty

Status in Zeitgeist Framework:
  New

Bug description:
  Several of our client APIs (python-zeitgeist and libzeitgeist)
  currently support guessing the subject interpretation from the mime-
  type.

  I think it'd make sense to move this directly into the engine. So, if
  a subject is inserted with an empty interpretation (which seems to be
  allowed currently), we'll try to determine it from the mime-type.

  This will avoid duplicating the mime-type mappings in different
  bindings. It'll be even more useful for clients using the D-Bus API
  directly (such as GTK+).