Same here in 13.04 (upgraded from 12.10). Whenever I perform a search in the
Dash, "More suggestions" is the first category to appear, followed by
"Application" and, much later, "Files".
Doughy's tip works great (thanks!) but the average user shouldn't be asked to
come to this. I hope all the optimizations in 13.04 will keep this problem from
happening again!

  Unity dash file search is extremely slow

Status in Unity Files Lens:
Status in Zeitgeist Framework:
Status in “unity-lens-files” package in Ubuntu:

Bug description:
  When I try to use the Unity dash search feature to navigate to files
  and folders, it is extremely slow. For example, if I hit the super
  button to launch the search and then type "Pictures" to get my
  pictures directory, it takes almost 5 seconds for the folder icon to
  show. In comparison, if I use Gnome-Do to navigate to my Pictures
  folder, it's basically instant.

  I have attached a video screencast so that you can see the problem for
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: i386
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Beta i386 (20110413)
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Package: unity 5.0.0~+bzr1825ubuntu0+611
  PackageArchitecture: i386
   PATH=(custom, no user)
  Tags:  oneiric running-unity
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-14-generic i686
  UnreportableReason: This is not a genuine Ubuntu package
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-10-14 (99 days ago)
  UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare