At last, a new Ubuntu release seems to have made a difference. With
Xenial, I'm down to a couple of seconds or less populating the Dash
first time on first login. I'm not sure if it's down to the new release
since I already had a startup command to preload selected scopes
according to Bruno Nova's suggestion under bug #1061852, and I guess the
startup job may hve survuved the upgrade:

/usr/bin/unity-scope-loader applications/applications.scope
applications/scopes.scope commands.scope

Nonetheless, under 15.10, this didn't work anywhere nearly as well as it
does in 16.04, so I guess the underlying problem has benefited from some
of the groundwork in the new release. Just out of curiosity, I'll
probably deactivate the startup job above to see what difference it

Anyway, having scope access times of less than two seconds on first
login has not happened to me since before 12.04, so finally, Unity 7
seems to reach its full potential - just in time for it to be replaced
by Unity 8...

  Unity dash file search is extremely slow

Status in unity-lens-files:
Status in Zeitgeist Framework:
Status in unity-lens-files package in Ubuntu:
Status in zeitgeist package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  When I try to use the Unity dash search feature to navigate to files
  and folders, it is extremely slow. For example, if I hit the super
  button to launch the search and then type "Pictures" to get my
  pictures directory, it takes almost 5 seconds for the folder icon to
  show. In comparison, if I use Gnome-Do to navigate to my Pictures
  folder, it's basically instant.

  I have attached a video screencast so that you can see the problem for
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: i386
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Beta i386 (20110413)
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Package: unity 5.0.0~+bzr1825ubuntu0+611
  PackageArchitecture: i386
   PATH=(custom, no user)
  Tags:  oneiric running-unity
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-14-generic i686
  UnreportableReason: This is not a genuine Ubuntu package
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-10-14 (99 days ago)
  UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare