I did the following (installed zekr first from software center, then
added Karmic repos in 10.10)

//To install Sun Java RE
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid
partner"
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre

//To set Sun Java as default
sudo update-java-alternatives --set java-6-sun

//To add the line to Zekr
sudo gedit ~/.zekr/zekrrc-debian

//add this line and save
ZEKR_JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun

//Now open zekr with the following in terminal
padsp zekr

The only thing that is not working now is auto scroll with the
recitation.