--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Smart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

... [snip]...

> Yes, you certainly can learn, practice and receive full benefits of
> zazen without being Buddhist (or even Japanese!).

Well said, Bill. Reminds me of the following dialogue (extracted from
the Platform Sutra) between the Fifth and the Sixth Patriachs:

"After having gotten my mother settled, I left right away and reached
Huang-mei within thirty-odd days. There I paid respects to the Fifth
Grand Master.
The Grand Master asked, "Where are you from, and what do you want?"
I replied, "I am a peasant from Hsin Province in Ling-nan. I have
come from far away to pay my respects to you only because I seek to
be a buddha, nothing else."
The Grand Master said, "You are a southerner, and an aborigine; how
can you be a buddha?"
I said, "People may be southerners or northerners, but the buddha-
nature originally has no south or north. As an aborigine, my social
status is not the same as yours, but what difference is there in our
buddha-nature?"
The Grand Master wanted to talk with me more, but he saw that his
followers were all around, so he had me do chores with the workers.
I said to him, "My own mind always produces wisdom. Not being
alienated from one's own essential nature is itself a field of
blessings. What work would you have me do?"
The Grand Master said, "This aborigine is very sharp! Don't say any
more. Go work in the mill." "

-------
namaste
wai