> Message: 1
>    Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 00:16:26 -0000
>    From: "yogavajra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: All that stuff...
>
> I was talking to a friend recently who practices in the Tibetan
> tradition. We were talking about Phowa - or the method of transfering
> conciousness at the time of death. I was curious what the Zen
> traditions take would be on this subject.

Um, transfer your consciousness to what? Or whom?

> I mean the practice is full of rich visualisations (not what we're
> used to in zen) yet if a legitimate practice surely crucial?

Whether or not it is legit is irrelavent. A Zen teacher would say this is just
more
Samsara.

> Message: 3
>    Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 22:51:48 -0500
>    From: "Al" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Cleansing my soul
>
> From: "John Davis" <> Try being big (5'8", 315lbs) and disabled (walk with
> cane) in a region where employers seek physical and mental perfection in
> their emplyees.
> >
> What area do you mean? I was at 417 and am 5'9" living in Miami. Down to 327
> now.

Well, I'm loosing too. Down now to 275 from 315 since July.
Where do I mean? I mean Appalachian Virginia. The little tail end that was not
able to
seceed into West Virginia during the Civil War. Eugenics is still practiced
here,
despite our former Governor's formal and official apology for all the years that
Eugenics was the law of the land down he-yah. They still regard the "disabled"
as
looked down upon by God, like the Puritans and other Pre-Darwin Darwinists:
survival of
the fittest was not a new idea in the 1800's when Darwin sailed on the HMS
Beagle, it
was couched in religeous terms...Terms now used by the Baptists despite that
religion
being started in what is now Rhode Island to escape the strictures of
Puritanism.

Weird, eh?

> [...]
> sliced and diced until she is about 250lbs.

> Join the Weight Control list for a non-denominational discussion of
> Bodybuilding
> and Weightlifting!

> Message: 4
>    Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 05:28:44 -0000
>    From: "jenniferkuszynski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Should we thank God?
>
> --- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Al" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Today I ran over a large rock that someone had either laid onto the
> road or
> > it had dropped off someone's truck. I thought it looked like a
> white paper
> > bag (maybe I need glasses?). What a shock to hit that rock.
> Thankfully it
> > seems like nothing happened to the car's transmission, axle, oil
> pan, motor,
> > etc.
> >
> > My daughter said "Thank God nothing happened to us." I thought "If
> G-d
> > wanted to be so helpful, why do only half a favor and leave the
> rock in the
> > middle of the road? Why not just do the complete miracle and have
> the rock
> > bounce to the curb when it fell off the truck?"
> >
> > So I wonder, was G-d helping us? Should we be thankful we were not
> injured?
> > Was the rock in the middle of the road a sign that G-d could care
> less?
> >
> > A couple of days ago an 11 year-old girl was run over by a car as
> she
> > crossed the street to go to school (at the school crossing, during
> the
> > slow-speed time). She was holding her older sister's hand when she
> was
> > killed. The car only hit one girl. Should the surviving sister
> thank God for
> > such a wonderful miracle? Why didn't God save them both?
> >

> I thought about this post today as I did a U-turn on the road two
> houses down from my own (forgot my coffee) and ran over a large chunk
> of metal, blowing out my front tire and causing a big delay in the
> trip I was about to undertake (while I exchanged the tire with my
> full-size spare in the trunk - and got my coffee)...
>
> And I realized I'm perfectly comfortable with the randomness of this
> event. All it was was a chunk of metal in the road. Nothing more.
> Just metal. It wasn't put there by some God to cause a one hour delay
> in my trip, or remind myself that I'm a mechanically-inclined woman
> and can change my own tire without help. It wasn't some sign I
> shouldn't go on my trip. It was just a chunk of metal.
>
> And it's still just a chunk of 4-inch metal imbedded in my tire.
> Maybe I'll keep it after the mechanics pry it out of my tire tomorrow
> when I get my two new tires installed as a reminder of the randomness
> of it all.
>
> I'll be spending my Sunday morning with the mechanics.

You have some good points there, and point directly to one of the major
failures of
institutionalized religion. These beliefs in God doing or not doing something
goes back
to early man. Ok, I know this is controversal, but...Religion developed out of
man's
need to rationalize, explain, or justify random occurances, acts of nature and
other
arbitrary happenings. Since we are still doing this today, then how can we say
that we
have evolved?

One of my favorite sceens involving this is the episode of The West Wing where
they
have the funeral for Mrs. Landingham, the fictional President's personal
assistant. She
was killed driving back to the White House after picking up a brand new car
from a
dealership, by a drunk driver. Martin Sheen as Pres. Bartlett, after the
funeral cusses
out God in fluant Latin for taking his oldest and dearest friend. Now, this is
followed
by a sceen in the Oval Office where in frustration and disorientation calls out
for
"Mrs. Landingham" (the only name ever used for her), as he often did when
frustrated
and needed sorting out...Her ghost comes into the room and they have a short
conversation in which she says he should not be mad at God, because "God
doesn't make
cars crash". A theologian would say that the "random occurances" you list above
happened because we have "free will".  Some Eastern/New Age thinkers would say
it was
their "karma" (it was the karma of the rock to fall from the truck?). I the best
coloquialism someone who practices Zen would say is "sh*t happens".  Well, that
is what
I would say.

Best,
John

Ki is extending,
John Davis

"Let us have a Universal Mind
that loves and protects all creation
and helps all things grow and develop.
To unify mind and body and become One with the Universe
is the ultimate purpose of our study."
                                 -- Koichi Tohei Sensei

"Masakatsu - Righteous victory, proper attitude
Agatsu - Victory over self
Katsuhayahi - Victory over speed of light, doing things so perfectly that time
is no longer a factor"
                                 -- Akira Tohei Sensei, no relation to  the
above. This from an interview in www.aikidoonline.com/ .

"Beware the Medical-Industrial Complex!"
                                -- John Davis