..just was surprised to see g carlin here n thought, no way, he's not
the sentimental type in public.. fr www.georgecarlin.com  :

"PARADOX OF OUR TIME"
One of the more embarrassing items making the internet/e-mail rounds is
a sappy load of shit called "The Paradox of Our Time." The main problem
I have with it is that as true as some of the expressed sentiments may
be, who really gives a shit? Certainly not me.

I figured out years ago that the human species is totally fucked and has
been for a long time. I also know that
the sick, media-consumer culture in America continues to make this
so-called problem worse. But the trick,
folks, is not to give a fuck. Like me. I really don't care. I stopped
worrying about all this temporal bullshit a long
time ago. It's meaningless. (See the preface of "Braindroppings.")

Another problem I have with "Paradox" is that the ideas are all
expressed in a sort of pseudo-spiritual, New-
Age-y, "Gee-whiz-can't-we-do-better-than-this" tone of voice. It's not
only bad prose and poetry, it's weak
philosophy. I hope I never sound like that.

HOW TO SPOT A FAKE
Here's a rule of thumb, folks: Nothing you see on the Internet is mine
unless it came from one of my albums,
books, HBO shows, or appeared on my website. If you see something with
my name on it, and you really need
to find out if it's mine, post a question on my bulletin board . But
only if it's really important to you; don't fuck
around with me for a lark.

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings, but
shorter tempers; wider freeways, but
narrower viewpoints; we spend more, but have less; we buy more, but
enjoy it less.

We have bigger houses and smaller families; more conveniences, but less
time; we have more degrees, but less
sense; more knowledge, but less judgment; more experts, but more
problems; more medicine, but less
wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too
little, drive too fast, get angry too quickly,
stay up too late, get up too tired, read too seldom, watch TV too much,
and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too
much, love too seldom, and hate too
often. We've learned how to make a living, but not a life; we've added
years to life, not life to years.

We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing
the street to meet the new neighbor.
We've conquered outer space, but not inner space; we've done larger
things, but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul; we've split the atom,
but not our prejudice.

We write more, but learn less; we plan more, but accomplish less. We've
learned to rush, but not to wait; we
have higher incomes, but lower morals; we have more food, but less
appeasement; we build more computers to
hold more information to produce more copies than ever, but have less
communication; we've become long on
quantity, but short on quality.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion; tall men, and
short character; steep profits, and shallow
relationships. These are the times of world peace, but domestic warfare;
more leisure, but less fun; more kinds
of food, but less nutrition.

These are days of two incomes, but more divorce; of fancier houses, but
broken homes. These are days of
quick trips, disposable diapers, throw away morality, one-night stands,
overweight bodies, and pills that do
everything from cheer to quiet to kill.

It is a time when there is much in the show window and nothing in the
stockroom; a time when technology has
brought this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to
make a difference, or to just hit "Skip
Ahead"...

By Dr. Bob Moorehead
(NOT written by George Carlin)