Very good! - wish I'd thought of it.
Kathy

-----Original Message-----
From: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of dkotschessa
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 3:33 PM
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Zen] The best "Zen is" post

On a usenet forum, the timeless question "What is Zen" was asked.
This is the best reply to the answer I'd ever seen.  I don't know if
they stole it, made it up, or what.  Anyway, thought I'd share it.

Zen is...

a small cushion.

a bottomless abyss.

a kind of revolution.

a long term project.

a complete waste of time.

a growing religion.

is a special transmission outside the scriptures.

a way of life and not solely a...

a kind of mental process.

a subject extremely easy to misunderstand.

a reference to the Japanese teaching that the only way of achieving
  pure enlightenment is to exclude everything else.

a rare gem.

a way of looking and confronting events, circumstances and life.

a transliteration of the chinese word ch'an or ch'anna...

a sect or order of buddhism.

zen is appearing

zen is zazen

zen is like sex

zen is a way of life

zen is understanding yourself

zen is not asceticism

zen is suing the police/govt

zen is this

zen is not for everyone

zen is humor

zen is with you

zen is zen

zen is an electronic repository of the history of the...

zen is nothing other than the return to the normal condition of body
and mind

zen is not a religion in the ordinary sense

zen is enlightenment

zen is bound to eliminate sickness of a psychosomatic nature and
 to improve the health generally

zen is the realization of the buddha's enlightenment itself

zen is boring

zen is punk

zen is without actually going through the training

zen is keeping don't

zen is the mystical branch of mahayana buddhism

zen is a practice that helps every human

zen is not asceticism

zen is beyond religion

zen is not wasted

zen is an approach to awareness

zen is one of them

zen is due to a lack

zen is difficult

zen is beyond words

zen is out of power

zen is more of an attitude than a belief

zen is thus a unique blend of the philosophies and idiosyncrasies
  of three different cultures

zen is simply the direct way of awakening

zen is a japanese thing

zen is neither buddhist nor taoist and yet both

zen is one of the longest established practices

zen is indeed the religion of the samurai warrior

zen is the school of buddhism which emphasizes the religious
  practice of meditation

zen is not wisdom

zen is stinky

zen is to come in touch with the inner workings of our being

zen is to bring one into union with life itself

zen is attempting to understand the meaning of life directly

zen is not a better way

zen is a faith of creative experience

zen is a network of spiritual centers

zen is a synthesis of indian buddhism and chinese taoism

zen is the peculiarly chinese way of accomplishing the buddhist
  goal of seeing the world just as it is

zen is transmitted outside of words

zen is great for the bikers

zen is what zen is not and thus always zen will be understood

zen is one of the best selling cars of the suzuki family

zen is very simple

zen is the natural evolution of zen from its japanese cultural
  form to a universal teaching

zen is to be awakened in every thought and deed

zen is about finding yourself

zen is about the art of being human zen is about recognizing
  what is zen is about naturalness

zen is all about enjoying your cigarettes

zen is like a meditation in and unto itself

zen is still writing - just not much right now

zen is me

zen is about finding your true self

zen is the only

zen is not to understand it.