--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The inability to put together a logical statement makes her an
idiot.

  Malkin is a nationally sydicated columnist and a published
author.  You don't like her statements, but she has some ability to
make logical statements.  Calling her names may make you feel
better, but it does little to address the problem of your
perscriptions and the programs which help pay for them.

Do you respect all opinions?

   It's possible to disagree with someone and feel they are
completely wrong on an issue without resorting to name calling.
That's just trying to tear somone you don't like down, instead of
working to make the change you seek.  If only some opinions are
valued, who makes that choice?  Isn't that part of what angers you
so about the current administration?

> Malkin is advocating cutting several government programs that are
keeping me alive. My prescriptions alone cost almost $700 a month.
That's what I mean when I say that her opinions are not abstractions
to me.

   That's a very serious reality in your life and your anger towards
people who oppose such programs is understandable.  How is the
situation helped by calling a woman you've never met names?  Vampy
has clever names for all these people who have conservative views.
Does that mean all who have conservative views are idiots and
assholes?  Does that mean that only liberal views are correct?

> What we have here is class warfare. I'm committed to non-violence,
but it is a war nonetheless. Would you feel better if I said that
Malkin's views are eloquent and intelligently stated, but dangerous,
mean, nasty, and that she is a social Darwinist?

   I think that's how you view her.  Those comments make disucssion
possible, even if no one's mind will be changed.  Calling her an
idiot is like slamming a door during an arguement -- it's loud and
attention getting, but doesn't move towards any possible common
ground.  Saying she's a social Darwinist stakes out what you see as
wrong about her position and allows for disucssion.  You have
already decided in your mind that she is wrong and you are right,
based on your life experience.  What about her life experience?  Can
you say, from reading what you have, that your mind is open while
her's is closed?

> And I never said that she didn't have the right to make as much
noise as she wants. She's still an idiot, and an asshole (just read
her book on the Japanese Interment.

  No, this hasn't been about censorship.  You decided to add a new
name, "asshole".   I haven't read her book on the camps, so what
exactly did she say about them that makes her an "asshole"?  You're
from Massachusetts.  It would be easy to cast all sorts of names and
labels your way based on the state where you reside as representing
the totality of who you are, reducing you to a crude word in my
mind.  That would be most unfair to you.  Then we could call each
other names in a flame war, having accomplished nothing which
benefits either one of us, just digging our hole of anger deeper and
deeper.  What is zen-like about that?
  You have real concerns in your life that transcend posting in a
group.  We probably have little that we agree on, but I respect you
as a person of passion and thought.  You can think whatever you wish
about Malkin, Coulter, Limbaugh, et al.  It was my hope that you'd
see that names like "idiot" and "asshole" say as much or more about
the one using them as the one they are directed at.  You are neither
of those things Darren.  You have given me a name and the beginning
of an understanding of what government programs do to help people in
need.  If you wrote with that passion to Ms. Malkin, you might make
a similar impact on her.  Calling her names in a group does
nothing.  If you give her the credit for perhaps being as thoughtful
and passionate as you, something good could begin.