On Monday, April 03 dkotschessa posted:
>Most of my zazen over the years I have done in half lotus, which is
>sufficient.  In the beginning I did full lotus before I found it was
>not necessary.
>Last night I decided I would try full lotus again.  I have to say it
>seemed "better" somehow.  I just mean it seemed easier, stiller.
>Are there any teachers that emphasize or insist upon full lotus as
>opposed to other positions?

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on being able to sit in the full-lotus
position.  I wish I could.  It may indeed enhance your meditation.

The purpose of sitting in a certain posture during meditation is to provide
a steady, stable, effortless base that opens up your diaphragm and enables
'belly-breathing'.  Full-lotus position has historically been the preferred
position for this.  Most teachers today, especially in the West, deemphasize
the full-lotus position and recommend the half-lotus, cross-legged, or
Japanese kneeling position.  The emphasis is on finding a position that is
stable and allows good breathing technique, and is comfortable enough to
eventually allow 30 to 45 minute meditation sessions.

Personally I would be very skeptical of any teacher that INSISTED upon a
full-lotus or any other position.

Gassho...Bill!