From: "Bill Smart" <> Personally I would be very skeptical of any teacher
that INSISTED upon a full-lotus or any other position.

When I used to travel and visit the various Zen centers, I got the distinct
impression that Full Lotus was what separated the men from the boys, and the
women from the girls (or whatever).

I found that slight snobbery to be funny, but since I could never sit Full
Lotus I did not like the attitude. I never saw any Roshi display any
attitude about anything; so my remarks are strictly about the rank and file
monks and lay participants.