Full lotus is better. Keep at it.

If you are knowledgable in cultivation matters then you should know that
meditation is NOT just a mind thing. It also naturally involves cultivating
your body--chi, mai, kundalini, bindus, etc.

You see, the goal in meditation is to cultivate your original nature along
with your physical nature, the latter being cultivated indirectly and
naturally.

As one's mind becomes clear one's life force correspondingly and naturally
rises upwards, purifying chi channels and expelling toxins along the way.
This is called kundalini. Assuming one does not mutate this energy with
self-centered thoughts, and that one resides in the emptiness, one can
expect to have great success.

If one obstructs this force by rampant thoughts or strange positions, one
can expect to be harmed. One can expect one's success to be multiplied if
one finds a position that is most suitable to the kundalini force rising up.
The full-lotus position just happens to be the best meditation posture. This
is not something one can theoretically prove. Buddha said it's best, Taoism
says it's best, I say it's best (from experience)--I hope you keep at it.

But to understand the body and it's purpose during meditation--as well as
why it is important in Zen practice--the best book to purchase would be "Tao
and Longevity" by Huai-Chin Nan. This book explains every aspect of the body
when cultivating and teaches one the correct mindset when cultivating.
Huai-Chin Nan tells you some scary, truthful things but also great
solutions. This book is written by a enlightened Zen and Taoist master, so
we can trust him. I found it very helpful.

If you are not able to buy this book then go to meditationexpert.com, the
best website to understand about the stages of meditation, psychological and
physiological phenomena encountered, and a nondenominational WEAVING of all
spiritual traditions and evaluations of each.

Good luck.

P.S.: I have felt great pain initially when I used the lotus posture. But
now, after some practice, I have been able to remain in the posture for 40
minutes. For longer sessions resting would be a good idea.