There is one fellow cultivator in my cultivation group where he did his retreat
for a year in another place previosly and using half lotus meditation, and soon
later he found that his backbone started to bend to one corner and this is a
frustration for him that will affect his daily life routines. My zen shifu
always encourages full lotus posture, even the late Ven. Master Hsuan Hua
stresses greatly on full lotus posture. However for his case, my zen shifu
recommended that he may try to rectify this problem by using another half lotus
sitting posture in the opposite direction for some time. And for those who
insist in using half lotus posture, it is recommended that they change
directions every on alternate meditation sessions.