On Tuesday, April 04, 2006 Ahmed posted:

>Full lotus is better. Keep at it.

>If you are knowledgeable in cultivation matters then you should know that
>meditation is NOT just a mind thing. It also naturally involves cultivating
>your body--chi, mai, kundalini, bindus, etc. [...balance snipped...]

I don't have any real problems with anything Ahmed posted, but I do want to
point out that most of his points had little or nothing to do with zen and
dealt mostly with Taoist teachings.  The thrust of his post seemed to be to
encourage a holistic approach which incorporates Taoism, Buddhism, Hindi,
etc..., which is not a bad idea if that is what you are after.

Getting back to the original topic - full-lotus position - I can state that
this is just one of many postures that can assist you in meditation.  It's
certainly not required.  Maybe it's the best, maybe not.  That depends on
you and your body-type and body condition.  Since zen, contrary to what
Ahmed posted, is not concerned with 'cultivation' of the body (as is
Taoism), it really doesn't matter what physical posture you assume when
doing meditation.  Full-lotus is probably the best (for all the reasons
Ahmed stated) if you can comfortably sit that way.  If you can't don't worry
about it and just sit anyway you can.  Just try to choose a posture that is
stable and allows you to breathe freely.

The important thing is to sit (zazen).  In fact the ONLY thing that is
important is to sit (zazen).  Being knowledgeable or understanding things
about zen, Buddhism, the Dharma, Sutras, Taoism, Hindi, yoga, physiology,
philosophy, etc..., are not important at all.  They're fun, but not
important.

Just sit!

Kop khoum khrop...Bill!