On Wednesday, April 05, 2006 Zi Qian Cheng posted:

>There is one fellow cultivator in my cultivation group where he did his
retreat for a >year in another place previosly and using half lotus
meditation, and soon later he >found that his backbone started to bend to
one corner and this is a frustration for him >that will affect his daily
life routines. My zen shifu always encourages full lotus >posture, even the
late Ven. Master Hsuan Hua stresses greatly on full lotus posture. >However
for his case, my zen shifu recommended that he may try to rectify this
>problem by using another half lotus sitting posture in the opposite
direction for some >time. And for those who insist in using half lotus
posture, it is recommended that they >change directions every on alternate
meditation sessions.

I have never heard of alternating legs (top/bottom) before when sitting in
half-lotus, but it makes a lot of sense to me.  Thanks for passing along
this tip.

How about doing the same when sitting in full-lotus?  Has your shifu ever
recommended that?  And if not, why not?

Khop Khoum Khrop...Bill!