I have noticed that difference between half and full lotus myself.  Most of
the time I sit half just because that position allows me to sit for a hour
at a time.  I have only recently (within the past 6 months or so) been able
to achieve full-lotus and can only go about 20-30 minutes before I feel like
I need to get some blood flowing.  I do notice, though, that full-lotus
seems to be a much more stable position and allows for breath that may be
more natural than sitting in half.  Full-lotus requires less minor
adjustments and alignments during meditation, ie: more stillness.

It seems to me in the West full-lotus is not emphasized strictly, due to the
fact that most people in the US are not generally quite as flexible as other
places where Yoga and meditation are more commonly used.  Many Westerners
simply don't bend that way, and it's damaging to force oneself into a
position.  In order for many to achieve full lotus, it takes a few years of
cautious stretching in order to be able to not overstrain ones-self and get
a messed up ankle or knee.

Keep stretching your ankles, knees and hips in order to sit longer and more
comfortably in full-lotus.  However, be very careful about how you go about
it.  Torn knee cartilage may be a very painful and difficult thing to
overcome =)  It's always best to consult a yogi of some sort, and allow
yourself patience to achieve that goal.

  _____