In my personal opinion, a good way of practising full lotus or half
lotus for people who have the potential(does not have significant
physical or mental disabilities) of doing so (some might not even be
able to do half lotus) is to practice say initially 5 minutes, then
10 minutes, then 15 minutes, 20 minutes...and so per session, when
the pain comes, it is where the koan or hua tou comes into play.
This pain is small compare to the pain to be endured when we are
heavily ill.

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "czerlinskyt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I have noticed that difference between half and full lotus
myself.  Most of
> the time I sit half just because that position allows me to sit
for a hour
> at a time.  I have only recently (within the past 6 months or so)
been able
> to achieve full-lotus and can only go about 20-30 minutes before I
feel like
> I need to get some blood flowing.  I do notice, though, that full-
lotus
> seems to be a much more stable position and allows for breath that
may be
> more natural than sitting in half.  Full-lotus requires less minor
> adjustments and alignments during meditation, ie: more stillness.
>
> It seems to me in the West full-lotus is not emphasized strictly,
due to the
> fact that most people in the US are not generally quite as
flexible as other
> places where Yoga and meditation are more commonly used.  Many
Westerners
> simply don't bend that way, and it's damaging to force oneself
into a
> position.  In order for many to achieve full lotus, it takes a few
years of
> cautious stretching in order to be able to not overstrain ones-
self and get
> a messed up ankle or knee.
>
> Keep stretching your ankles, knees and hips in order to sit longer
and more
> comfortably in full-lotus.  However, be very careful about how you
go about
> it.  Torn knee cartilage may be a very painful and difficult thing
> overcome =)  It's always best to consult a yogi of some sort, and
allow
> yourself patience to achieve that goal.
>

>   _____

On Behalf