--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Zi Qian Cheng" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There is one fellow cultivator in my cultivation group where he did
his retreat for a year in another place previosly and using half
lotus meditation, and soon later he found that his backbone started
to bend to one corner and this is a frustration for him that will
affect his daily life routines. My zen shifu  always encourages full
lotus posture, even the late Ven. Master Hsuan Hua stresses greatly
on full lotus posture. However for his case, my zen shifu recommended
that he may try to rectify this problem by using another half lotus
sitting posture in the opposite direction for some time. And for
those who insist in using half lotus posture, it is recommended that
they change directions every on alternate meditation sessions.

Yes, I ask a lot of questions of my yoga friends, they say to
alternate, so I do.

I am trying to alternate in full lotus as well, but for some reason
it is extremely hard for me to do it the other way.  Everything keeps
slipping out.  I have to use a pillow under my right foot (which is
on top when reversed) to keep it from escaping!

I figure once I get flexibility in this position that won't be
necessary.  I have been doing it the other way only (though not
regularly) for years.