--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Smart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 05, 2006 Zi Qian Cheng posted:
> >There is one fellow cultivator in my cultivation group where he
did his
> retreat for a >year in another place previosly and using half lotus
> meditation, and soon later he >found that his backbone started to
bend to
> one corner and this is a frustration for him >that will affect his
> life routines. My zen shifu always encourages full lotus >posture,
even the
> late Ven. Master Hsuan Hua stresses greatly on full lotus posture.
> for his case, my zen shifu recommended that he may try to rectify
> >problem by using another half lotus sitting posture in the opposite
> direction for some >time. And for those who insist in using half
> posture, it is recommended that they >change directions every on
> meditation sessions.
> I have never heard of alternating legs (top/bottom) before when
sitting in
> half-lotus, but it makes a lot of sense to me.  Thanks for passing
> this tip.
> How about doing the same when sitting in full-lotus?  Has your
shifu ever
> recommended that?  And if not, why not?
> Khop Khoum Khrop...Bill!

I realize I'm being a little redundant here since I just said this,
but I've had this recommended to me.  My best friend (who teaches
yoga) was almost astonished when I told him I'd been doing full lotus
the same way for years.  Kind of like "You mean you don't

I've heard it elsewhere stated that the japanese do it such and such
a way and the chinese do it the other way.  I don't know how much
validity there is to this.

>From a zen "perspective" it probably doesn't matter, but I think that
for the sake of ones health and flexibility it is probably a good
idea to alternate.