--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Smart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 04, 2006 Ahmed posted:
>
> >Full lotus is better. Keep at it.
>
> >If you are knowledgeable in cultivation matters then you should
know that
> >meditation is NOT just a mind thing. It also naturally involves
cultivating
> >your body--chi, mai, kundalini, bindus, etc. [...balance
snipped...]

> I don't have any real problems with anything Ahmed posted, but I do
want to
> point out that most of his points had little or nothing to do with
zen and
> dealt mostly with Taoist teachings.  The thrust of his post seemed
to be to
> encourage a holistic approach which incorporates Taoism, Buddhism,
Hindi,
> etc..., which is not a bad idea if that is what you are after.
>
> Getting back to the original topic - full-lotus position - I can
state that
> this is just one of many postures that can assist you in
meditation.  It's
> certainly not required.  Maybe it's the best, maybe not.  That
depends on
> you and your body-type and body condition.  Since zen, contrary to
what
> Ahmed posted, is not concerned with 'cultivation' of the body (as is
> Taoism), it really doesn't matter what physical posture you assume
when
> doing meditation.  Full-lotus is probably the best (for all the
reasons
> Ahmed stated) if you can comfortably sit that way.  If you can't
don't worry
> about it and just sit anyway you can.  Just try to choose a posture
that is
> stable and allows you to breathe freely.
>
> The important thing is to sit (zazen).  In fact the ONLY thing that
is
> important is to sit (zazen).  Being knowledgeable or understanding
things
> about zen, Buddhism, the Dharma, Sutras, Taoism, Hindi, yoga,
physiology,
> philosophy, etc..., are not important at all.  They're fun, but not
> important.
>
> Just sit!
>
> Kop khoum khrop...Bill!

I would argue that in the early stages of Zen training at most places
one is "cultivating" Joriki.  The power of concentration, (in
english) or samadhi.  This can be linked to chi in taoism or even
kundalini or whatever.  Usually the "just sitting" part is after
you've developed a bit of concentration.  If you tell a newbie
to "Just sit" they'll probably just be spacing out most of the time
becuase they have no concentration.