well, just for some sharing. My shifu said that there are 3 basic
zen meditation problems most people had, first one is having extreme
stray thoughts , second is falling asleep during meditation, third
is fallen into dull emptiness, which is very dangerous. Dull
emptiness (wu-ji) in chinese is a state that one does not know if
there is anything that happen at all, lost of ability to
discriminate/to know what's going on around and there is a high
chance that external demons may possess the human body.

Using skandhas as a tool of expressing the teachings, there is a
saying that if one has not got pass the conceptual skandha barrier,
one should not hide himself in the mountain but to practise with
other zen fellow and most importantly his/her shifu; if one has not
got pass the formations/volitional skandha, one should not go for a
retreat in his own little zen room. But if we have the 6th patriarch
type of dhamrma root, all these are not really relevant.

The great thing about zen compare to other meditation techniques is
it is a direct path to break the conceptual skandhas barrier, and to
the harder to express formation/volitional and consciousness skandhas
(bcos we cannot really imagine what's that about) ; relative to
other meditation techniques who need to get pass the form and
feeling skandhas first.

In my opinion, as a layman, we need to discriminate things/know
what's happening in daily life. However the training of buddhism
teach us to be less attached to it, whether the situation/state is
good or bad and train us to view any phenomena as  "equal/normal" ,
thus...thus...

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Ahmed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi, I'm Ahmed. I think the questions we are talking about are
pretty
> important. Especially when I saw the word "skandha," I felt a need
> thoroughly explain the term since it is so deep. Especially when
skandhas
> are a neat classification system of the universe--all forms and
movements,
> body or mind--the small dictionary definition will not do. But it
would take
> a while to explain subsets and subsets of subsets . . . to map
things out
> would take a great book to guide the discriminative thinking of
our mind.

> [Please skip eight paragraphs if you agree with the usefulness of
mental
> discrimination, classification, organization and cutting the world
into
> pieces.]
>

> Bill Smart, I think you would disapprove of my mental
discrimination with me
> on this point. "In fact the ONLY thing that is important is to sit
(zazen),"
> you replied once. Sitting is important but not ONLY.
>
> "Being knowledgeable or understanding things about zen, Buddhism,
the
> Dharma, Sutras, Taoism, Hindi, yoga, physiology, philosophy,
etc..., are not
> important at all.  They're fun, but not important."
>
> Can you tell me discrimination is not useful in saving lives, in
planning
> for the future, in discovering and solving interpersonal issues,
and in
> advancing science not only for better physical understanding but
also
> spiritual understanding and acceptance? What about for a job? Does
one sit
> down and get paid in this world?
>
> Sure, sitting unifies one with the universe so that one has
greater energy
> and capacity to understand. In fact, one MUST sit and BE in order
to evolve
> one's theoretical knowledge to insight. But it is hard to imagine
that one
> comes up with solutions magically from sitting.
>
> Once again, understanding the principles throughout the universe
(of yin,
> yang and their many products), can these be called unimportant to
one's
> mundane life and spiritual cultivation? True Buddhas must
have "skillful
> means," methods of teaching which take into account context,
audience, and
> environment. Buddhas must know of how the mind works (psychology)
and the
> positions of others (Hindu, Muslim, Christian, this-and-that
philosopher
> etc.) in order to compassionately guide him/her out or into a
certain train
> of thought. Buddhas do not rigidly sit there, teaching corpses to
become
> schizoids.
>
> I hope I have gotten my point across: mental discrimination is a
difficult
> process to master, a process that cannot be ignored, despite the
paradoxical
> nature of ideas, especially if one aims to be a Buddha.
>
> Also, the downside, mental discrimination is a process many people
have a
> habit of using too much nowadays, me included, and if you tell
someone to
> "'just sit' they'll probably just be spacing out most of the time
becuase
> they have no concentration." (dkotschessa)
>
> But with mental discrimination one can logically explain to
another personal
> the benefits and effects of meditation thus counteracting their
> discrimination within their own world of rules. One can even
understand the
> conditions and causes of meditative rest and better be able to
handle issues
> when they arise and help others if they request it. This is called
using
> "fire to fight fire." Using the thinking mind itself to learn to
stop
> itself.
>

> [The previous eight paragraphs were written for the sole purpose of
> explaining why discrimination is important, I know it's not
complete--I hope
> you can fill in the rest.]
>

> The questions that arose about physical stature, hua-tou,
skandhas, and what
> entails true zen practice were very important. And explanations
are long.

> A book which desribes this aptly is "How to Measure and Deepen Your
> Spiritual Realization: A Short Multi-disciplinary Course on
Evaluating and
> Elevating Your Meditation Progress and Spiritual Experiences."
This book was
> written by William Bodri (manager of www.meditationexpert.com) and
Huai-Chin
> Nan, a enlightened Esoteric master and Zen master, confirmed by
many people
> all over Asia.
>
> This book will take you through a journey of understanding the
different
> perspectives and cultivation schemes of different cultures,
religions, and
> philosophies, the skandha system and it's relevance to
cultivation, true