If everyone speaks the same language, say sanskrit, which is a good
language to describe and express buddhism, everyone would have typed
less here, all may seem like zen masters who doesnt really need to
talk much...

It is hoped that the buddhist jargon  in the english language as an
important international language will mature one day, so that
communications get simpler...haha! Well, time will take care of
everything, as proven in history.

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Smart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>[Bill!]...but discrimination and logic
> >>are not tools that are useful in realizing your
> >>Buddha Nature.  In fact they may be
> >>(and are usually) detrimental.
>
> >[ dkotschessa] Well, that's funny, becuase the Buddha used them
all the
> time.
>
> It is not my understanding that the story of Siddhartha Buddha
includes an
> assertion that he used discrimination and logic to obtain
enlightenment.  It
> is my understanding that the story claims he tried a lot of things
and
> finally obtained enlightenment after finally giving everything up
and
> retreated to just sitting under the Bohi tree in what I assume to
be a state
> of samadhi (shikan-taza in Japanese, no-mind in English), a state
which
> certainly does not support active discrimination and logic.
>
> The story does support the claims that he certainly did freely use
> discrimination and logic before his enlightenment; and also
afterwards to
> formulate his teachings.
>
> I write my posts pretty much impromptu, and although I try to be
careful
> with my wording sometimes they are not as clear as I'd like.  In
this case I
> would like to modify my posting above by adding the word 'FIRST':
>
> ...but discrimination and logic
> are not tools that are useful in FIRST realizing your
> Buddha Nature.  In fact they may be
> (and are usually) detrimental.
>
> >>[Bill!] ...to see your Original Face all you need to do
> >>is sit (zazen) - nothing more.
>
> >[dkotschessa] And how is zazen any different from reading, or
studying?
> >You see these things as somehow being different from zazen,
somehow
> >separate.  But they are all part of the same activity.  Buddha
nature
> >is not restricted to just sitting.
>
> Zazen is zazen.  Reading and studying are reading and studying.
In that