Discrimination is CUTTING not ATTACHING. The difference is important. With
discrimination, you are a scientist experimenting with different chemicals
wondering what is best for the people, using mathematical principles and
patterns to predict the future. With attaching, you are trying them out on
yourself! (And thus, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Symbolism intended.)

For example, I see a very attractive woman. I notice this attraction. I
discriminate, I think, I can think and cut away, theorizing as to the
characteristics that cause an esthetic beauty for myself and many others.  I
probe and figure out the underlying principles. But the attachment is
wanting this person. Wanting to touch, feel, grope, rape, blind-and-kill
etc. Or even worse, wanting the wanting to stop and go away, creating a
circle of vicious pain.

"Treatise on Being True to Mind" has many titles and has been one of my
favorite Zen poems. In fact, I have heard that it was the first Zen poem.

The first couple of lines about emotional equanimity are very Taoist and
pivotal to correct meditation.

So is no-discrimination (which is broadly the same principle) during
meditation. But to properly have this, one must be perfectly natural. One
cannot will the emptiness to arise since this is contrived and fake. Just
rest without expectations as you said.

But hinduism, buddhism, judaism, islam, and understanding all the rest is
just as important if one is a bodhisattva and one actualizes one's formless,
natural understanding by sharing it with others in skillful ways.

Bill, I think we simply had a misunderstanding.

You could not possibly disagree with me on the point that skillful means are
caused by mental discrimination and order and mundane understanding of the
dark actions of man as well as spiritual understanding of the principles of
the universe. This must help man who is so complicated with all his
self-righteous traditions and cultures.

Discrimination is useful in the initial stages of meditation when one is
familiarizing oneself with the skandhas so that one can see the foolishness
of attaching to them and then finally let go of them and come to higher
stages, with less and less thoughts, as William Bodri describes in
www.spamwebsite.com. Until one comes to an open naturally thoughtless
state--samadhi--which correctly represents the universe.

I've always agreed with you that zazen is best performed without
expectations. Just don't feed your skandhas is the key principle.

But thing is, most people cannot do this and so the skandhas were created
for "baby-steps."

The formless space of this universe, a burning wheel, can never be found.

Rest.

"Why diminish the sky by looking at it through a reed?
If you haven't yet found clarity, take this song as your key."
--Cheng-Tao-ke