On Saturday, May 06 Eugene Wrote:

>Bill, of course you are right. That's why I originally quoted 'allowed
>in Zen'. Still thanks for waking me up - but next time just call my
>name or poke me gently ;-)

Eugene, I Whisper In Your Ear:

Your words 'allowed in Zen' was to what I was referring.

Zen practice does not have things that are allowed or disallowed.  There are
no rules, but that doesn't mean that just whatever you want to do is zen
practice.  There are no rules in the sense that there are not specific sets
of things that may be done and that may not be done.  Telling the truth is
considered helpful, but lying is not forbidden - in fact in some
circumstances it is very proper.  There are things, however, that people
throughout the ages have found helpful and things that they have found are
not helpful.

Becoming distracted by trying to do or thinking about too many things at
once is one of the things that have been found to be unhelpful.  It's
certainly not forbidden and might not even apply to your zen practice -
although I'd be very, very surprised if it didn't apply since it is such a
fundamental teaching.

(This 'no rules' thing is not the same for Buddhism.  I don't consider zen
to be wholly contained within the province of Buddhism so can claim to
practice zen but not be a Buddhist.  Jarvis or Dave do see zen and Buddhism
as inseparable, I believe, and can help you understand more of that from
their Buddhist perspective.  They both have a lot of good information on
this.)

http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/S27xlB/TM