Most instructions for sitting zazen usually include wearing comfortable
clothing, sitting in a lit (not dark), quiet room, limiting movement around
you, facing a wall, burning incense, etc..., for two main purposes:
limiting external disturbances that can inhibit your ability to concentrate,
but not so much that you cannot keep awake.  Just find a good balance
between these two that is conducive for you to sit and you're good to go.

Concentration and staying awake are harder to do when you first start
sitting.  The more you sit the less external conditions bother you, and the
easier it is to stay awake.  I have sat for over 40 years and I still have
difficulty concentrating if I can hear a TV blathering away in an adjacent
room.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/S27xlB/TM